Monday, July 7, 2014

Bring the Music Back

Music is a funny thing. I react viscerally to a lot of music. There have been times where I need to be careful when playing music while driving. Otherwise I'll find myself in front of a judge asking me why I hopped out of the car and slugged the policeman, who pulled me over doing 85 in a school zone, while yelling F*** YOU I WONT DO WHAT YOU TELL ME.

And I'll have to be honest with him.

"I'm sorry, Your Honor, I was driving under the influence of Rage Against the Machine."

I'm a 90's kid and I am completely unapologetic about my love for bands like Green Day, Nirvana, REM, Ace of Base, and No Doubt. I love Sarah McLachlan, Natalie Merchant, and Tori Amos and I'm still angry that Lilith Fair is over.

One band that I've always loved is Smashing Pumpkins. However, my first husband was also a huge fan. We even had a Pumpkins song in our wedding. For the last 8 years, I haven't been able to listen to any Pumpkins music. My stomach got tight and I felt very anxious. I had to turn it off.

Last week, for the first time, I was able to listen to a few songs and enjoy them again. 1979...Today...Tonight, Tonight...only some of the big ones. I can listen to Disarm again and it makes me smile.

I have my music back. That makes me smile a lot more. And drive a little faster, seriously Kelly, you've got to stop doing that.

No comments:

Post a Comment