Sunday, January 1, 2012

2011 Book Reviews and 2012 Previews

2011:

Percy Jackson and the Olympians by Rick Riordan
Percy Jackson and the Heroes of Olympus by Rick Riordan

Let's take these two series together.  I loved these books.  In fact, when reading the first series the third time, I realized that I liked them better than the Harry Potter books.  That's saying quite a bit.  If you are a fan of Greek and Roman mythology and like YA fiction then I have no idea why you aren't at the library, bookstore or on an e-book site right this second.  You must have these books in your life.  You must know the story of Percy, Annabeth and loveable Tyson.

The Kane Chronicles by Rick Riordan

After falling so in love with the Percy Jackson series, I found and read the first two books in the Kane Chronicles.  I wasn't as impressed by these books but they are still good.  These books are based on Egyptian mythology.  After reading these I truly wonder if Riordan is gearing up for a Norse mythology series.  I would totally snap that up.

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

WOW.  I read the first book on my Kindle after hearing about 9 gazillion friends tell me that this is a life changing series.  I plowed through the first book and then bought and devoured the last two all within two days.  I gave myself a few days to process the books and then spent two more days reading them again.  I read this whole trilogy about 10 times during 2011 and will probably read it even more through 2012.  I will give these books to my kids when they are ready.  There is no age limit to me.  These are difficult books to read in subject matter.  I'll gauge how ready the kids are and introduce them when I believe they are ready.  I could see these becoming required reading in schools at some point if they aren't already.

The Seven Realms by Cinda Williams Chima

Before Thanksgiving, I was whining on Facebook about having nothing new to read.  A friend pointed me to this YA fantasy series and now I am in her debt.  Chima has created a world of royalty, clans and wizards.  There are traders, craftspeople and hunters in the clans.  She weaves a story of warriors fighting for their lands; some with magic and some so opposed to magic that they kill anyone with a trace of wizardry.  There is a line of queens ruling the land and the books focus on the latest heir.  I was entranced with this new world and read quickly through the three books.  I love authors that create a new world for me to explore.

The Redemption Series by Karen Kingsbury

This is a 5-book series about the Baxter family written by Christian author Karen Kingsbury.  I read these books because they were on the Kindle I was graceously given by my MIL when she upgraded.  They are very easy to read and great for people that like warm-fuzzy books where the family overcome hardships with grace, love and family togetherness.

YACK.

I read them because they were there, I was bored and I had a newborn so I couldn't turn pages.  If this is your thing, then go for it.  I will only poke a tiny bit of fun at you if I know you well enough.

2012:

Percy Jackson and the Heroes of Olympus by Rick Riordan
The Kane Chronicles by Rick Riordan

The third book in the Heroes of Olympus series is being released in fall of 2012.  The third book in the Kane Chronicles trilogy will be released in the spring of 2012.

GET CRACKING RIORDAN.  ALSO BE THINKING ABOUT THAT WHOLE NORSE MYTHOLOGY THING.

Divergent by Veronica Roth
Insurgent by Veronica Roth

A teen thriller trilogy set in dystopian Chicago.  Chicago is divided into five "factions" all representing a different virtue.  When children turn 16, they must take a test and choose a faction.  The trilogy follows a young girl named Beatrice who just turned 16.  I am on this like stink on Gideon's butt.

Inheritance by Christopher Paolini


It took him what felt like 385 years but that little butthead finally finished this series.  Now I just have to read the last book and find out what happens to Eragon and Saphira.

I say butthead affectionately.  I love this series and Paolini brought dragons back to the public eye.  Dragons are awesome.

 The Wilder Life by Wendy McClure


As did nearly every other young girl in America, I read the Little House books.  I still read the Little House books and I can't wait to read them to my kiddos.  Sophie has already listened to a chapter here and there.  Wendy McClure took this to a new level and wrote a book dedicated to figuring out the truth and fiction surrounding Laura Ingalls Wilder and the Little House books.  The woman made a green pumpkin pie, for crying out loud!


There are, of course, more books that I plan to read in 2012.  I'm set up on Goodreads and have set a goal of 50 books for the year.  Honestly, I would love to blow that out of the water but you never can tell when you're the mother of three.

No comments:

Post a Comment