Sunday, April 22, 2012

How to Get Cheap

It's time to start cutting costs. It's time to start pinching pennies. It's time to learn how to be a housewife. Not quite Depression-era but no more buying processed frozen chicken nuggets because it's supposedly the only thing the kids will eat and it's easy.

Here's some ideas:

  • Breadmaker. Time to start making some simple breads. Limit the sugar and possibly go gluten-free. Can this thing do pizza crusts and tortillas?
  • Yogurt and kefir. All three kiddos love yogurt and two of them like the kefir smoothies I got on sale at the store. (Good thing it's the ones with the biggest need for Regulation.)
  • Jams and jellies. It's time to learn how to do some easy canning with in-season fruits. Then I can add it to the homemade yogurt and kefir.
  • Keep up with the freezer meals and meal planning. No more coddling the kids. They eat what we eat.
  • Time to grow some herbs. Probably the basic Scarborough Faire variety with some dill and oregano thrown in there.
  • Costco card. It is time to brave the beast.
  • Start cutting down on processed foods. I can make nearly all of them myself. It's just a matter of learning how to keep them.
  • Get a cow. These kids go through a lot of milk.
OK, so that last one probably isn't in the cards. Although I wouldn't have to pay for lawn care and I'm well-versed in cleaning large deposits of patties.

  • We already shop clearance racks and resale shops. I think I've got the clothing bill down.
  •  Ben is going to get Apple TV at the beginning of May and we'll start ripping our DVD collection. We're also looking into a Drobo to back everything up.
  • Homemade cleaners. My girlfriend gave me her recipes and I'm gathering up the basic ingredients. It's pretty cool how many overlap.
  • Potty train The Boy. *shudder*
Does anyone else have any suggestions? Give me your best!

4 comments:

  1. You are totally on the right road there. You would be surprised what differences little changes make. When we eat out and eat less processed foods, not only does our food bill go down (and we buy all of our meat and some of our veggies at Whole Foods even) but our weight does as well.

    It just takes a little more time.

    Also, look for ways to repurpose things that are cheap but not completely good for you.

    I sometimes buy Ramen noodles and use only the noodles to make Asian chicken and noodles (with everything else in it homemade, but making noodles is a bit beyond me at the moment).

    You can also take the opportunity to cut down on salt/fat/etc and your body will thank you later!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My breadmaker has a jam/jelly cycle. Two birds/one stone!! You will NOT regret the Costco card. I just wish I didn't have to drive 4 hours to get to one! I've been slowly cutting back on using any disposable towels in the kitchen or for cleaning. I've replaced paper towels with washrags and microfiber towels. That really cuts down on our consumables and trash. The only paper product we use with any consistency (and way more consistency than some) is toilet paper!

    ReplyDelete
  3. THAT SEALS IT! I'm getting your breadmaker! Send me the info!

    I'm going to start stockpiling microfiber towels for cleaning. It's true that TP is a big expense but I'm pretty good about finding sales and coupons. I don't think I'm quite ready to make reusable TP.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want to know about the breadmaker, too.

    As for the TP....Wimp! ;)

    ReplyDelete