Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Orzo with Broccoli

I'm exhausted so I'm just going to post the recipe. Ben and I have had a long day of kids and sickness so I wanted to throw something quick together for dinner. I didn't want anything too heavy. Then I remembered that bag of orzo that I bought and hadn't yet used. I've never cooked orzo before so I looked at a few different recipes for ideas and then I just followed what I thought sounded good. This is what I came up with.

The Stuff

3/4 cup uncooked orzo
2 cups chicken broth
2 cups broccoli (I used half of a frozen bag.)
1 TBSP EVOO
1 tsp kosher salt
1 TBSP lemon pepper seasoning
1 TBSP dried dill weed
1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese

The Process

Bring your chicken broth to a boil. Add the orzo and cook for about 7 minutes while stirring regularly. Drain in a colander once pasta is cooked and tender.

Put your EVOO in a skillet on medium heat and toss in the broccoli. Sprinkle your seasonings on top and stir. Cover the broccoli skillet so everything can saute and get soft. Once it's sauteed but still a little crisp, take out the broccoli and chop into little pieces.

Broccoli and orzo get tossed in a bowl. Throw the feta in with it while everything is still hot. Stir up the melty-cheesy goodness.

It's like a grown-up mac and cheese. I used Greek seasonings and cheese this time but you could also turn this into an Italian dish by adding Parmesan, asiago or fontina cheese. You could also use spinach, asparagus or any other green veggies that you like. I'm going to add my Greek shredded chicken next time to see if that bulks it up and makes it a good all-in-one lunch.

Next time you're at the store, pick up something you've never cooked before. You may try it and love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment